Wednesday, February 15, 2012

a Scottish Psalm

In Love's Reckoning, I make use of Scottish Scripture and have been using a Scottish Bible loaned to me by my pastor's wife. This beloved book is a family heirloom over 150 years old. The Psalms therein are written in meter/rhyme which make for the most wonderful reading.

I've always been smitten with lambs and shepherds and the imagery used in the 23rd Psalm. If you take a look at the lamb here you'll understand why:) No doubt this particular Psalm is one of the most beloved in any language.

The Lord's my shepherd, I'll not want. 
He makes me down to lie:
In pastures green: He leadeth me
the quiet waters by.





My soul He doth restore again;
and me to walk doth make
Within the paths of righteousness,
ev'n for His own name's sake.

Yea, though I walk in death's dark vale,
Yet will I fear none ill:
For thou art with me; and thy rod
and staff me comfort still.

My table Thou hast furnished
in presence of my foes;
My head Thou dost with oil annoint,
and my cup overflows.

Goodness and mercy all my life
shall surely follow me:
And in God's house for evermore
My dwelling-place shall be.

23rd Psalm of David in metre,
Church of Scotland Hymnary