Sunday, October 25, 2009

thankfulness

Since it's so easy to focus on what's lacking in our lives I try to keep track of all the blessings that come my way. God is so faithful even when I'm not. And He gives each of us so many undeserved gifts, large and small. In the last 48 hours or so I've enjoyed some really good coffee, taken my boys to a costume party, edited several chapters of The Locket, fixed a great meal or two, slept 10 hours one night, heard that The Frontiersman's Daughter is being read in Moscow, Russia (amazing, huh? God is good!), received a wonderful letter from a reader in Ontario, enjoyed your blog comments, and so much more.

Here's a short list of things I'm thankful for. I could, of course, hand you a list of all that's not so nice in my life but what a downer that would be. So here goes...

* healthy kids
* a husband who's my best friend
* windy walks
* maple trees changing color (those evergreens are stubbornly green)
* sassafras tea
* Scripture that speaks to your heart
* salvation
* candles
* sleeping in
* a real live letter in your mailbox
* leftovers
* chocolate
* coming home
* fiddle tunes
* childrens' laughter
* fresh apple cider
* too many things to count...

Can you add anything to the list? Or is yours so long you can't possibly find enough paper?

When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around. -Willie Nelson

No one is as capable of gratitude as one who has escaped the kingdom of night. -Elie Wiesel (accepting Nobel Peace Prize, 1986)

He said he got up to the line and thought about his wife and daughter, and everything he had to be thankful for. (Interview with Derek Parra, immediately following his silver medal winning performance at the Olympics, 2002)

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine... Proverbs 17:22

10 comments:

  1. Hi just got the chance to catch up and stop by. Oh how I loved this uplifting post! It is such a wonderful thing to count our blessings! Here's wishing you a blessed week! blessings,Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list:
    fresh apple cider, fiddle tunes, children's laughter.....
    it all sounds so wonderful!!
    ESPECIALLY the sleeping 10 hours in one night!!! Oh, i look forward to the day when Lindsey will sleep past 5:30 or 6 am.
    but then again, she probably wouldn't be a baby anymore, so I better enjoy my morning snuggles (and feet in the face and head-butts, and laying on my head...) for as long as I can!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I had to chuckle at Lindsey as I sure remember those days of feet in face (and other things) at a very early hour. In fact, my Wyatt didn't sleep through the night till he was 4 years old!! Enjoy those snuggles. Like you said, they pass too quickly.
    Thinking of you today and hoping there are more blessings than you can count:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathleen,
    Yes, it's a blessing to count our blessings - I truly believe that it has a medicinal effect on us just like Scripture says! Praying you have a great day way down there with all your critters, greenhouse, cooking, handwork and all the rest:) Thank you for coming by - I don't know how you do it as you are so busy but I so appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful gratitude list. It is good to take the time to really acknowledge all the blessings in our lives. Hopefully those who matter most to us see our gratitude for them in our every day life, but sadly, I know that isn't always the case. Life whizzes by too fast sometimes.

    Must stop and count my blessings now and show gratitude in some way for all of them! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, we're thinking the same thing. I just wrote my post 'On a High Note' before I hopped over here and saw your 'Thankful List'. Love it!

    My short list: a good God, a healthy family, changing seasons, a good night of sleep, good books to read, laughter with family and with friends, the gift of modern medicine....so many more.

    I needed this reminder. Sometimes I take so many things for granted. A thankful list is a wonderful way to celebrate life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wise, Eileen:)
    When I'm writing I sometimes let my children ask me a question 5 times before I look up and answer them. NOT GOOD POLICY! Our gratitude should be conveyed first to the people in our lives just like you've said here. Thank you for that timely reminder today. I needed it:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES, Mary! I love your short list. Modern medicine is such a taken-for-granted thing. Especially Children's Motrin:) It's gotten me through plenty of sleepless nights when my wee ones were sick.

    Can't wait to read your post - On a High Note - love the title! Going there now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh, good list. I love watching the leaves turn, too. Especially the ivy that crawls up walls. The slashes of color are beautiful. Today I'm thankful for my cats, good books to read, and friends to come over and hang out with!!
    Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristen,
    I love the way you phrase things - slashes of color and all that:) I can tell you are a writer at heart. Autumn really is wonderfully vibrant and seems to speak loudest of all the seasons, if that makes sense. I LOVE all this wind we've been having! It reminds me of the Holy Spirit.
    Anyway, YES to cats, books, and friends!

    ReplyDelete