Wednesday, July 8, 2009

time for a new title

Next week one of my favorite parts of publishing happens all over again with the titling of book 2. My tentative title is Red River Daughter as you probably know and are weary of right now! It's always interesting to see what the Revell team comes up with. I must admit I didn't mind giving up Dogwood Winter to get The Frontiersman's Daughter. This title fits the book so much better. Along with the cover art, the title has to make the book "pop" (in industry lingo), so that a reader will want to pick it up. There are some wonderful titles/covers out there. And then there are some that, well, aren't so wonderful.

I had to chuckle as I recently found there are many "daughter" books on shelves right now - The Preacher's Daughter, The Tsarina's Daughter, The Apothecary's Daughter, The Doctor's Daughter, The Sea King's Daughter, The Mortician's Daughter, and even, Somebody Else's Daughter. No joke!

Meanwhile, my deadline is approaching, I have guests coming for dinner Saturday night, Paul turns 10, Wyatt has a big youth group outing, etc. Summer rolls on though I wish I could slow it down a bit. I've discovered a wonderful place for working - my bedroom! So peaceful and quiet. I just shut the door and put my laptop on my bed and edit, edit, edit.

Do you have a favorite or most memorable title?

2 comments:

  1. how weird! i didn't realize that you (the author) do not choose the final title for your own book!! I kind of like Dogwood Winter. It sounds pretty.
    So will all the books in your series have "Daughter" in the title?

    Since I loved the book by Francine Rivers called Redeeming Love, I'll say I like that title. Actually, it is a very appropriate title for that book.

    I hope your books new name is one that you like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    YES - Redeeming Love is the right title for that book. Would you believe it's still on Christian bestseller lists 20 plus years later?! It's my favorite Francine River's book though I also like her Mark of the Lion series. Authors don't choose their book covers either though my publisher asks for my ideas - which I gladly give. My favorite part of the whole process is the cover/title. I'll let you know what book 2 is named as soon as I hear:)

    ReplyDelete