Tuesday, June 2, 2009

the plot thickens...

I'm still deep in the Red River woods, circa late 18th-century Kentucke (yes, correct spelling for that time period, or should I say incorrect spelling?) and trying to polish the story to a high gloss. Meanwhile, I took a long walk today in the 85 degree heat and must have had some sort of a serendipitous brain melt as the plot puzzle I've been trying to figure out for book 3 finally came together:) Only I can't get back to book 3 because I need to finish book 2.

When I finished The Frontiersman's Daughter and asked the Lord's blessing on the book and any readers, I thought I had my readers figured out. This is women's fiction, or so it seemed, and I couldn't imagine it appealing to anyone else. Well, something strange has begun happening. Teenage girls are starting to tell me they can't wait to read my book! I even heard from one today via email asking if she could review my book. Certainly, I said. But I was kind of stunned. But then I thought that maybe there's a reason the novel opens with Lael being 13. Granted, she matures rapidly and is soon 18 and keeps climbing...

So I'm glad for any teen readers! My husband told me he is going to read it as soon as my box of books is delivered. I told him it is women's fiction (and teen? young adult?) so not to put it on par with Hemmings Motor News or Muscle Cars. Besides, he's not a book reader. I doubt he'll get past the first few chapters, much less read to page 416! But he just might surprise me. People tell him he looks just like the man on my book cover. I think he likes that!

So the life of a writer is never dull. Surprising, but not dull. Better get back to meeting that deadline...

You can't get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. -Lewis

4 comments:

  1. I know I'm looking forward to reading it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    I sure hope you like it! You and I have similar tastes in reading, especially our mutual love of Thom's awesome historical, Follow the River. Although I can never claim his literary prowess, I pray The Frontiersman's Daughter blesses you in some way:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very much looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bobbi, I sure hope you enjoy the book! It really is a composite of my Kentucky childhood and all the dreams I had of being the daughter of a frontiersman like Kenton or Boone. I spent a lot of time in the Big Hill/Pinnacle area in Madison County pretending back then and it is still one of my favorite places to return to. Lael is just another name for Laura, I think.

    ReplyDelete