Tuesday, April 21, 2009

coming home again

Now that I'm back from Oregon and those chocolate-dipped twinkies are a delicious memory, it's back to work:) Funny how things can change when you go away a mere 72 hours or so. My 12 year old, Wyatt, who was still sort of short when I left is now as tall as I am! No kidding! Paul looks the same and was sawing away on his fiddle when I returned. Now that the house is clean, the laundry caught up, the cat buried (yes, sadly, our cat died this weekend), I am in need of another retreat:)

For now it's back to Red River Daughter. I printed out a hard copy and sat on the deck in the sun today and worked through 60 some pages with a blue pen. Red pens are kind of scary. Blue is better! At this point the story seems solid so I'm paying attention to the rhythm of the writing. Some sentences just don't sound right and any wordiness needs to be eliminated. So I'm back in Kentucky again if only in my imagination and it's late fall in the novel. I like the story so much it's a pleasure to be there. I'm having a hard time letting go of this book. It means that much to me. I hope it means something to someone else:)

A writer lives in awe of words for they can be cruel or kind, and they can change their meanings right in front of you. They pick up flavors and odors like butter in a refrigerator. -Anonymous

2 comments:

  1. We do get attached to our characters, don't we? But sometimes we're ready to say "Here's your hat; what's your hurry?" and usher them out the door. But after we do that we sure do hope some new characters start knocking on the door. Good luck with your editing.

    Thanks for your congratulations about my new grandbaby. She is very tiny and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that grandbaby is doing well! I like what you said about characters. I'm at the point where I hope some more come knocking soon! I'm a "have to" writer like you:)

    ReplyDelete