Saturday, March 14, 2009

the disciplined life


It's Saturday night and our house smells like hot, buttered popcorn, compliments of Paul. A perfect pairing with that old western on t.v. Wyatt is reading a Hardy Boys book - Mystery of the Flying Express, #20. Reminds me of my old Nancy Drew days:) And me - here I sit blogging! I'm coming up on the one year anniversary of this blog. Thank you readers for staying with me on this meandering journey! After 200 plus posts I'm not sure if I should go to a newsletter or just keep blogging. I think the most interesting days are right around the corner with the book's release so may keep going till then.

Paul and I spent part of today at the dress rehearsal for the symphony. His teacher is the first violin and she likes for us to come . The menu (or is that venue?) today was Hyden and Brahms with some modern stuff thrown in. There was an amazing guest cellist who is only 17 and conducted his first symphony at age 12! His father is the conductor of the Seattle Symphony so maybe that's a perk. Julian Schwartz is going to give YoYoMa a run for his money!

Anyway, I asked Mary, Paul's teacher, what she does prior to a performance (like throw-up!). She said she takes a long nap and fasts. She finds when she eats prior to playing she is mentally sluggish. She's much sharper when she's had only juice. Amen, I thought. I didn't share my revelation earlier this week. After all my fun and feasting the month of February I've had a hard time getting back on track this month. Personally, I like being undisciplined and eating and doing whatever I please but it always comes back to bite me at some point.

As I sat pondering my lack of discipline lately a little light bulb seemed to shine. My sloppy eating and exercise habits of late have begun to show up in my writing schedule, or the lack of it. So I've started walking again and eating light and the productivity doubled. Strange, huh? Being undisciplined in one area doesn't stay in one area but overlaps. Hmmm. It's a lesson I need to remember. So I guess I'll write it down here lest I forget:) It's all about leading a disciplined life.

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in sch a way as not beating the air; but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified. 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

No comments:

Post a Comment