Saturday, March 7, 2009

bald boys

Early this morning Randy and I took the boys east toward civilization (Silverdale) to the Awana Olympics for a day of games with hundreds of other kids. Paul and Wyatt begged me to shave their heads for the occasion, thinking a lack of hair would somehow make them more fleet of foot, so I obliged and they are two very bald boys:) Wyatt won the tug of war with his team and Paul did well in a relay and now they are very tired tonight.

It was a joy to see so many families and kids come together. I was reminded of the verse of how we are to love God with all our hearts and soul and strength - these words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. Deuteronomy 6:6-7. It was good to see families trying to live that out through Awana which is worldwide now.

We had to do the eating thing while there - Red Lobster:) I think Silverdale must have one of the biggest Barnes & Nobles on the planet and I'm both sad and relieved I didn't succumb to the temptation to walk through their doors. I was busy being derailed by deck furniture at Home Depot. When we headed back to the woods, we ran into snow! So much for deck furniture! But it was beautiful nonetheless.

Right now it's May in book 3 and Roxie's garden is burgeoning beneath all that Kentucke sunshine. No, that's not a typo. Kentucky used to be spelled Kentucke and I've been true to that in my books. I must let go of Roxie and the Falls of the Ohio now and get back to book 2 and the Red River since I'm almost finished with the page proofs for The Frontiersman's Daughter. I think I mentioned that I'm having flashes of book 4. That's how it always starts for me - just brief glimpses of characters and situations that flash like lightning and disappear quick as a summer storm. I write them down as they come to me and find that they eventually meld together and become a book. And no, I don't understand it either!

I've been in love three hundred times in my life, and all but five were with books.
-Leo Glickstein



No comments:

Post a Comment