Wednesday, February 11, 2009

divine deadlines


It's been snowing here in western Washington just enough to remind us it's still winter and not spring. I received another deadline yesterday - this one the most pleasant to date! I have a few days to work on acknowledgements which is just a page or so in the front or back of a book where the writer expresses thanks to anyone and everyone who helped the book come about. Do readers ever take time to read acknowledgements, I wonder? My only fear is leaving someone out. One author I know had 3 full pages of acknowledgements for her book. I'm sure the people she acknowledged loved it:) And I'm sure she didn't forget anyone!

Mine will be short and sweet. I don't have a critique group, nor an agent for this first book. But I do have plenty of folks to thank. I decided years ago who to dedicate this book to but you'll just have to read it and find out!

My Kentucky company rolls in shortly and we are very excited. Of course company involves lots of food. I always bake my mom a cake - this time it will be orange cake. Last time it was lemon. And we have to stock up on lots of coffee. I'm going to make a big batch of egg rolls and Kung Pao Chicken for our first supper together. The boys like to help plan the menu ahead of time as eating is high on their list. Paul is polishing "Flop-eared Mule" for an after dinner performance and Wyatt is grooming his moustache. Grandma hasn't seen them in a year and a half!

Grandma has grits in her bag and who knows what else. She flies into Seattle from Lexington and then gets on one of those tiny planes and comes over the mountains and water to us as we're almost four hours west of Seattle. And you thought anything west of Seattle was ocean, I bet. Once upon a time I did, too.

Back to those acknowledgements! Happy Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. Hope your mother made it out of Lexington before the squall line went through. It was wild here with top gusts clocked at 72 mph. Blew over a couple of tractor trailer rigs on I-75. Berea was without power (yet again) for over six hours. Break out the candles and kerosene heater time again. I'm beginning to think maybe Washington isn't such a bad idea after all. :) Tell you mom hey for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,Gin - Spring is starting early in Kentucky this year! Looks like Mom will be relieved to get here where it's just wet, not so windy right now. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete