Tuesday, January 20, 2009

waiting well


Lately it seems I'm doing a lot of waiting. Waiting for wireless internet. Waiting for Paul to read music. Waiting to lose the 7 pounds I've gained from too much time sitting and writing. Waiting for that first book to come out. Waiting for spring. Waiting for the Super Bowl party. Waiting to go on that women's church retreat in Canby, Oregon. Waiting for Paul's bad cold to be over. Waiting to see if I will catch it next.

If there's one thing about being here I won't miss, it's waiting. Imagine not having to wait for anything ever. Instant gratification. No delays. No wondering what's going to happen next. No worrying. No regrets. Heaven, indeed!

I watched a little of the inauguration this morning and wondered how well our new president waited for this day to arrive. Aren't those girls of his darling? Malia looked like she didn't have a care in the world as she twirled around on stage. Children are so present. That's the secret to waiting well, I think. I remember missionary martyr, Jim Elliot, saying, "Wherever you are, be all there."

I must confess I'm not waiting well lately. January already seems 6 months long to me! Hope your month is short and sweet and full of good books.

No comments:

Post a Comment