Thursday, July 31, 2008

365 days

Tomorrow is August 1st and we must kiss July goodbye. If you look at the countdown counter in the margin you'll see that August 1, 2009 is a big day for me. Only it seems like it will never get here.

I don't think anything takes longer than publishing a book - except maybe the nine month wait to have a baby. Giving birth to a book takes far longer. The only similarites are that you are very excited and must think of a good name/title for that baby/book. Fortunately babies don't need any marketing - they just appear and become overnight bestsellers, so to speak. Most books do not. And that is why publishing takes time. Everything has to be just right. You must give a reader every incentive to pick up your book. Beginning with the title. And then the cover, etc. It really boils down to dollars which has nothing to do with why I write. But it's a business, after all.

If I was more ambitious and less busy I would start a support group for writers who are waiting for that first book to come out. But I've never been a groupie so this is not really appealing (I used to cry when I had to go to Brownie meetings as a kid). Lots of writers go to conferences and join critique groups but I'm not sure about this either. However, there is one conference in Hawaii that sounds good to me. But anywhere warm sounds good to me right now as it is 50 degrees here and raining!

So when I get impatient - or you get impatient waiting for something big to happen - it's really helpful to keep our minds on Ecclesiastes 3 - "There is a time appointed for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven - a time to give birth and a time to die ... a time to weep and a time to laugh ... a time to mourn and a time to dance ... a time to be silent and a time to speak ..."

Even a time to publish and a time to wait to be published. I'm finding I like His timetable much better than mine anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment