Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Philippians 4:8

Recently the marketing department of my publisher asked which writers I would like to request read my book before it is released for endorsement purposes. Endorsements are those little blurbs on the book jacket that tell how much other authors like your book. I selected 3 Kentucky authors since my novel is set in Kentucky and then a writer of historical fiction from Colorado. Since I love anything written by Liz Curtis Higgs, she was my first pick. I'll be amazed if she has time to read my book but thought I'd try. She lives in Louisville by the way and is an incredibly gifted writer and speaker. Her books are bestsellers.

Lately I've been thinking that at least one of these writers might not like my book after reading it. What would they then say for endorsement purposes? In future, what will I say if I'm asked to endorse a book I don't like? Christians are supposed to speak the truth (in love). Hmmmm. Suddenly this endorsement idea is not fun anymore.

Since all of this is new to me, I have only one reliable guide. Phiilippians 4:8 really is the right answer here:

Finally ... whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good report, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

This applies to books you don't particularly like - and people. Without expending too many brain cells, I can usually find something good to say about a Christian book I'm not crazy about - or my nosy neighbor. Try it. It's the truth. And you just might like it - or them!



No comments:

Post a Comment