Wednesday, June 11, 2008

King Ranch Chicken

I'm afraid I might have lost a few blog readers after posting that last recipe. It is a bit bland - I actually prayed that the folks who tried it would be filled with the spirit and have great success! Sometimes dumplings are not very cooperative. My husband claims I never make a duplicate dumpling. They all taste different.

Anyway, here is a recipe that will put some zing in your step (and fire in your belly). You southerners will love it - or maybe it is already a staple in your kitchen. When I gave up writing for five years I decided cooking was the next best thing. I had to take up walking as well. All that eating is hard on the waistline. I have a terrible penchant for disregarding portion sizes.

KING RANCH CHICKEN

1/4 cup butter
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can 10 oz Ro*Tel diced tomatoes and green chilies
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
12 corn tortillas, cut in halves or fourths
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2/3 cup chicken broth

Heat oven to 325'. Cook pepper and onion in melted butter till tender. Add soups, Ro*Tel, chicken broth and chicken. Mix well. In 9x13 pan layer tortillas, soup mixture and cheese - repeating layers three times. Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes till bubbly. Let cool a few minutes. Garnish with fresh avacados, sour cream, black olives, etc.

Serves 8 but this is an outright lie. In my house it serves 3-4 as we eat like pigs! I know gluttony is a sin but it seems like it should be ranked near the bottom, especially when it comes to this here recipe.

God bless and good eating!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for a good recipe to try! I love the simple ones as I am by no means an Emeril or Martha Stewart but love new easy ones to try for the kids. This one is similar to one I have "mexican chicken". Let me know if you want it or did I send it already? Hoping you are having a good day there. It's a HOT one here as usual. :) Kids are gone to parties and camping today so I am enjoying a break for a few hours. My house is usually FULL of kids so a little peace is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete