Tuesday, May 6, 2008

life in a locker room

Sometimes I feel like I live in a locker room, having two boys and one husband. Even our dogs are male! And our cat! I'm a girly kind of girl though I've never had a manicure and don't own a cell phone. But I love purses and shoes and Starbucks lattes and perfume and all the rest.

My husband recently told me I am a complete mystery to him. Maybe this is because he sees me staring at my computer screen for hours on end. Riding herd on a bunch of words is "mind-numbing" to him. He is all action. We live in the woods and he likes to pretend it is not the twenty-first century. He dreams of moving to Alaska and living in a remote cabin where they have to fly in your supplies a few times a year. He has relatives there but I notice they spend a lot of time down here in Washington.

Anyway, my husband's idea of fun is splitting cedar logs into fence rails by hand with an old fashioned maul and ax - for hours on end! And bicycling for miles on isolated logging roads with fishing gear slung over his back to his favorite fishing hole. Or climbing half a mountain to get firewood. We don't have tv reception/satellite so we have to get really creative to have fun.

I never would have believed I would publish a book, much less three of them, nor live in the woods of Washington with so many men. But God had a plan and it was so much better than anything I could have devised.

May He grant you your heart's desire, and fulfill all your purpose. Psalm 20:4

3 comments:

  1. Mark would love to have the lifestyle you and Randy lead.........that would be his dream......the mountains, living remotely in a cabin or cottage somewhere, fishing, just a simplicity lifestyle. Having the things that really matter......God, family and love...you can live anywhere! We hope to get back out there one day. It's such beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, until today I was away from your blog for over a week while I was covered up at work, but what pleasure it brought me to catch up on your recent entries in one fell swoop...kind of like breaking a fast by strolling down the smorgasbord line and loading up on literary fare. Thanks for a great way to end my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura, big hugs and hellos from Moscow. We are so excited to find your site. I don't think I've read a word of anything you wrote since letters from Lake Crescent. I loved "life in a locker room". It's nice to hear your voice again. Lorri

    ReplyDelete