Monday, April 21, 2008

Nim's Island

What do you get when you take a wacky writer addicted to hand sanitizer and mix it with a handsome Scottish scientist/adventurer and a too-cute little girl? Nim's Island is all about books and the imagination and well worth the time and $. Randy and I took the boys to the theater yesterday and loved spending a couple of hours on a tropical island (we refuse to play in the snow in April).

I especially liked Jack's (the dad) comment that, "Courage is something we have to learn every day. It's not just in you - it's in every choice we make."

Sometimes an inordinate amount of courage is needed to just get out of bed in the morning. I have a young, dearly loved family member with MS who embodies the type of courage talked about here. I know of another woman at church whose back is so bent because of illness that she can't straighten up and is often in a wheelchair, yet has graciously invited us to her house this Friday. When I asked what I could bring, she said "Nothing. I want you to have a break from fixing dinner." And I have a neighbor who recently had a massive stroke and the doctors doubted he would ever walk again, but now he walks without a walker and his gait is just as good as it used to be. This is true courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment