Saturday, April 19, 2008

birthdays

This morning I took myself out for breakfast - alone. I rarely get to do this, having two boys and a husband. But it's my birthday so today I did. Most of my friends have fled at this point, thinking this a very strange preference. But I really like being alone, even to eat. Just you and your food. No trying to get a word in edgewise or filling awkward silences. But sometimes I think it makes other diners uncomfortable and they seem to be looking at you out of the corner of their eye and thinking, "Hmmm ... must be one of those weird writer types." There are so many in this area.

It was snowing this April morning here in Washington state and the mountains were all white beyond the cafe window, yet when you hit the door you could smell the sea as the waterfront is just two blocks away. If you're ever in this tiny town, be sure to stop by First Street Haven and have a bite to eat. The coffee and eggs benedict are very good!

An older lady at church recently told me she counts each of her birthdays as an increasing blessing because it is yet another year nearer to heaven. Now I have a new perspective on birthdays.

I truly believe, "And in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them." Psalm 139:16

God is so gracious to withhold the date of our death from us, though He knows it very well. Today I thought how good it would be if we could learn to live with this date in mind. Wouldn't everything be brighter, richer, fuller? Or, if we were in a valley, wouldn't this make the dark places seem more temporary? One day we will live outside of time and there will be no more birthdays. Max Lucado says time is just "a footspan on eternity's trail." That's enough to make me celebrate.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a lovely breakfast in town for your birthday; I completely empathize with your wishing to dine alone sometimes. It gives one a chance to ruminate not only on the tasty eggs and toast, but also on the reflections of the week. Good for you! Reading your entry made me hunger for a trip to First Street Haven one day. Salty air does stir the appetite....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a great bday..........and a good meal eating alone, ha, as I do that on occasion also and it doesn't bother me a bit. Good to be alone sometimes if even just to eat, ha! love, Rhonda :)

    ReplyDelete